Only three more days before Christmas, and I realize that I have been missing in action for nearly a month. I feel old and stiff before the keyboard, my fingers are screaming “arthritis!” and my back resents the time spent sitting still. But they say blogging is like riding a bike; once you learn how, you almost never forget.
Still, I wanted to simply ease into blogging again after a month’s hiatus, and what better way to get back on the bicycle again than to do a good old-fashioned tag, Christmas style? I am “borrowing” this tag from from Amelia, Tess, and Sophie’s mom at For Better Or For Worse .
1. Wrapping paper or gift bag? Wrapping paper! (This year it’s plain gold paper, and red satin bows and ribbons to finish the look.)
2. When do you put the tree up? Right after All Saints’/ All Souls’ Days
3. When do you take the tree down? Near Valentine’s Day (heehee!)
4. Eggnog? Nopes! Since we limit our casein intake (in deference to Alphonse’s GFCF diet), we prefer homemade Hawaiian punch instead. Christmas in the tropics rocks! Woohoo!
5. Favorite gift received as a child? Baby Alive, the doll that peed and pood
6. Hardest person to buy for?? My husband. He’ll be the first to tell you he doesn’t want or need anything. Gives me a headache each time I look for gifts for him. 😦
7. Easiest person to buy for? Alphonse. Bubbles do it for him. Lots of bubbles.
8. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. Most Filipino homes do. 🙂
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? I used to do Christmas cards but e-cards are sooo convenient.
10. Worst Christmas gift ever received? A washcloth. The person who gave it simply didn’t care.
11. Favorite Christmas movie? I have two favorites- It’s A Wonderful Life (1946) starring James Stewart and The Gift of Love (1978) starring Marie Osmond and Timothy Bottoms.
12. When do you start shopping for Christmas? All year round, I like to pick up gifts as I see them.
13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes, when I receive duplicates of items I already have, but I am very particular about what I recycle and whom I give them to.
14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Lengua (Ox Tongue), either estofado or in mushroom sauce. I use a pressure cooker for softening the ox tongue, and because I am afraid of pressure cookers, I cook this only once a year, on Christmas Day.
15. Lights on the tree? Yes, white ones! (A finally got them up five days before Christmas! Yay!)
16. Favorite Christmas song? “Silent Night”
17. Least favorite Christmas song? “I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus”
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? When my mother-in-law was alive, we alternated Christmas Eves between my parents and A’s. When she passed on in 2005, Christmas Eve became simply our family tradition. Christmas Day is spent with my parents and siblings.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Donner, Prancer, Comet, Cupid, Blitzen, Vixen
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel holding a teensy weensy Hello Kitty plush.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Carolers who demand payment for singing the same song over and over again, garbage collectors/ delivery men who give us envelopes for “donations” each time they perform a service that is simply part of their jobs.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? My favorite ornaments theme would still be Hello Kitty.
24. Favorite Christmas dinner? Adelina’s ham, Szechuan prawns, lengua, spaghetti and fried chicken (for the kids)
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Peace in the home, at work (A’s), and in the country